After a long wait for a LTS version of Ubuntu I finally installed their latest release the Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Precise Pangolin, I installed it on my Compaq CQ40 the AMD Turion X2 64-bit with ATI Radeon version.
The installation went smoothly and when I attached my LED monitor (Samsung SyncMaster SA300) and try to configure the multi-monitor setting, I got this error message "The selected configuration for displays could not be applied". So I searched around the internet and found out that it happens mostly on ATI Radeon graphic cards.
Below are the steps if found in order to make my screens work properly:
- Open the System Settings -> Additional Driver -> Select ATI/AMD proprietary FGLRX graphics driver and click Activate button.
- Once done, restart your machine.
- Open your Terminal and paste this command: sudo amdcccle
- It will open the ATI Catalyst Controller Center, here you can configure your screens by selecting the Display Manager.
- Restart again your machine.
- Open the System Settings -> Displays and configure again your screens.
It should be working by now.